Heavy-duty power washers offer immense cleaning capacity compared to medium and light-duty. This is because they have high PSI and GPM. They make quick work of driveways and large areas that need serious cleaning. But yet with the right nozzle and wash distance can clean patio furniture and vehicles without damaging the surface. Heavy-duty units are gas powered and cost at least $370.
I was walking past a job-site a few weeks ago and noticed they were using a heavy-duty petrol power washer to remove the single yellow lines in the parking lot they were building.
I have a pressure washer website, so of course I stopped to chat.
It turned out they had spaced the yellow lines too far and had to rent the cleaner for $80/day plus gas cost. I watched as the yellow paint peeled off the surface as they pressure washed it. Yes, they did apply paint stripper but it surprised me how easy it was.
A heavy-duty unit may be overkill for around your house, but there’s no doubt it makes any cleaning job faster and effortless.
Contractors purchase them because they are built with tough, long-lasting industrial strength parts. If you’re the type that buys the best because you see it as an investment for the long-term go with the heavy-duty.
What Exactly Does Heavy-Duty Industrial Strength Mean?
- Sturdier Steel Carriage – A heavy-duty machine needs a stronger frame because it has a heavier larger engine and pump. If it didn’t it would bend and deform quickly. This robust frame also makes it suitable for wheeling around a job site.
- Job-site Tires – To support the heavy-duty frame and engine a heavy-duty pressure washer should have large pneumatic tires. If it didn’t it would be tough to move around on uneven ground.
- Commercial Series Engine – Although there exist heavy-duty washers with residential-grade engines and heavy-duty power, you’ll notice most of the heavy-duty’s we recommend have the commercial engines. This is because a commercial engine in a pressure washer will have a bigger fuel tank and more long lasting components.
- Longer Lasting Pump – The difference between operating life of an axial cam pump and a triplex plunger pump is astonishing. All the heavy-duty units have triplex plunger’s to ensure heavy-duty use is accommodated.
Picking The Best Heavy-Duty Pressure Cleaner On The Market
The best heavy-duty washer is the Simpson PS3228-S Powershot 3200 PSI 2.8 GPM. It’s powered by the famous Honda GX200 gas engine. It has enormous cleaning power and is manufactured by Simpson – the brand DeWalt trusts to manufacture their units.
See those large tires and heavy-duty steel carriage? Yeah those make this unit job-site ready and very sturdy and easy to move from job to job.
If you plan to use this unit around the house then rest easy knowing there is no job too tough.
A Worthy Alternative With Adjustable Pressure Settings
The main selling point of the all-new Generac 6602 3100 PSI 2.8 GPM unit is that you can adjust the pressure down to 2000 PSI at the turn of a dial. There’s 4 pressure settings total to make moving job-to-job a cinch.
It comes with a purpose-built Generac 212cc OHV engine. And the handle folds down for more compact storage.
On Amazon, over 100 customers have rated it on average 4 / 5 stars. I would personally go with the Simpson above, but if you love Generac or really want the adjustable pressure then check out the full details at the link:
Here’s What You Could Do With Your Pressure Washer
- The top row before and after is amazing. Reddit user Jkc0722 power washed his yard removing all the sand between the paving stones allowing weeds to grow through the cracks. This time he ensured to re-sand the backyard stones after pressure washing this time. Looks a lot less like a jungle now.
- The bottom row is a disgusting image how bad a mildew problem can become poolside. But any pressure washer makes quick work of that. And you can see the difference in the after image.
- Here’s the PS3228 Simpson pressure washer details page used to research the specs and warranty of the unit.
- The Generac 6602 OneWash unit product page was helpful and includes the product manual, spec sheet and warranty details.
- Before after image above sourced from r/powerwashingporn on reddit.com from users: Jkc0722 and col381.